Summary of course content
This course aims to enable students to:
- develop the language proficiency required to communicate effectively in Spanish at level A2 (CEFR Basic User), with elements of level B1 (CEFR Independent User)
- offer insights into the culture and society of countries and communities where Spanish is spoken
- develop awareness of the nature of language and language learning
- encourage positive attitudes towards speakers of other languages and a sympathetic approach to other cultures
- provide enjoyment and intellectual stimulation
- develop transferable skills (e.g. memorising, drawing of inferences) to complement other areas of the curriculum
- form a sound base of the skills, language and attitudes required for progression to work or further study, either in Spanish or another subject area.
The subject content is organised in five broad topic areas (A–E below)
These provide contexts for the acquisition of vocabulary and the study of grammar and structures. The study of these topic areas enables students to gain an insight into countries and communities where Spanish is spoken.
A. Everyday activities
B. Personal and social life
C. The world around us
D. The world of work
E. The international world
How the course is assessedYou will be assessed at the end of the course using four compulsory components (examinations):
Paper 1 Listening
Paper 2 Reading
Paper 3 Speaking
Paper 4 Writing
Guided Learning Hours
We design Cambridge IGCSE syllabuses based on learners having about 130 guided learning hours for each subject during the course but this is for guidance only. The number of hours a learner needs to achieve the qualification may vary according to local practice and their previous experience of the subject
Any special requirements
You may assume that all students have access to an Internet connection and a basic computing device such as a mobile phone or a tablet and basic writing materials such as notebooks and pens/pencils. If anything additional to this such as textbooks, a more powerful computing device or specific software or apps are required (including free software) then list the minimum requirements here.
- iPad / Laptop / Camera
- (Book) Cambridge IGCSE – Spanish as a Foreing Language
Cambridge IGCSE™ Spanish Student Book Third Edition, Simon Barefoot, José Antonio García Sánchez, Timothy Guilford, Mónica Morcillo Laiz, Mike Thacker, Tony Weston, ISBN 9781510448483. You can find the textbook here.