Summary of course content
This Cambridge IGCSE Mathematics course encourages you to embrace mathematics as a life skill, while helping you build a solid foundation that applies to multiple everyday situations. You will develop confidence, a feel for patterns that enhance your reasoning and analytical skills. At the end of this Cambridge IGCSE Mathematics course, you will have the possibility to use mathematics as guidance for other subjects.
All candidates will study the following topics:
- Number: Number
- Algebra: Algebra and graphs; Coordinate geometry
- Shape and space: Geometry; Mensuration; Trigonometry; Vectors and transformations
- Probability and statistics: Probability; Statistics.
This course aims to enable students to:
- develop an understanding of mathematical principles, concepts and methods in a way which encourages confidence, provides satisfaction and enjoyment, and develops a positive attitude towards mathematics
- develop a feel for number and understand the significance of the results obtained
- apply mathematics in everyday situations and develop an understanding of the part that mathematics plays in learners’ own lives and the world around them
- analyse and solve problems, present the solutions clearly, and check and interpret the results
- recognise when and how a situation may be represented mathematically, identify and interpret relevant factors, select an appropriate mathematical method to solve the problem, and evaluate the method used
- use mathematics as a means of communication with emphasis on the use of clear expression and structured argument
- develop an ability to apply mathematics in other subjects, particularly science and technology
- develop the ability to reason logically, make deductions and inferences, and draw conclusions
- appreciate patterns and relationships in mathematics and make generalisations
- appreciate the interdependence of different areas of mathematics
- acquire a foundation for further study of mathematics or for other disciplines.
How the course is assessed
All candidates take two papers.
Complete Mathematics for Cambridge IGCSE Student Book (Extended), David Rayner, Ian Bettison, Mathew Taylor, ISBN 9780198428060. You can find the textbook here.
Course Code: 0580