Summary of course content
The Cambridge IGCSE Biology encourages learners to be:
- confident, interested in learning about science, questioning ideas and using scientific language to communicate
- their views and opinions
- responsible, working methodically and safely when working alone or collaboratively with others
- reflective, learning from their experiences and interested in scientific issues that affect the individual, the
- community and the environment
- innovative, solving unfamiliar problems confidently and creatively
- engaged, keen to develop scientific skills, being curious about scientific principles and their application in the world.
Candidates study the following topics:
- Characteristics and classification of living organisms
- Organisation of the organism
- Movement into and out of cells
- Biological molecules
- Plant nutrition
- Human nutrition
- Transport in plants
- Transport in animals
- Diseases and immunity
- Gas exchange in humans
- Excretion in humans
- Coordination and response
- Variation and selection
- Organisms and their environment
- Human influences on ecosystems
- Biotechnology and genetic modification
How the course is assessed
You will be entered for three exam papers, two theory papers and one practical paper.
Guided Learning Hours
We design Cambridge IGCSE syllabuses based on learners having about 130 guided learning hours for each subject during the course but this is for guidance only. The number of hours a learner needs to achieve the qualification may vary according to local practice and their previous experience of the subject.
Any special requirements
You may assume that all students have access to an Internet connection and a basic computing device such as a mobile phone or a tablet and basic writing materials such as notebooks and pens/pencils. If anything additional to this such as textbooks, a more powerful computing device or specific software or apps are required (including free software) then list the minimum requirements here.
- Complete Biology for Cambridge IGCSE, third edition
- Ron Pickering
- Oxford University Press
- ISBN: 978-0-19-830869-0
Complete Biology for Cambridge IGCSE, Ron Pickering, ISBN 9780198366713
You can find the textbook here.