Summary of course content
Build your confidence in communicating with other French speakers about everyday situations. This course will help you communicate effectively in French and develop memorable skills that you can use in all areas of studies.
Cambridge International AS & A Level syllabuses in languages other than English aim to:
- develop the ability to understand a language from a variety of registers
- enable students to communicate confidently and clearly in the target language
- form a sound base of skills, language and attitudes required for further study, work and leisure
- develop insights into the culture and civilisation of the countries where the language is spoken, including the study of literary texts where appropriate (this does not apply to AS Language qualifications)
- encourage positive attitudes to language learning and a sympathetic approach to other cultures and civilisations
- support intellectual and personal development by promoting learning and social skills.
How the course is assessedCandidates wishing to take a Cambridge International A Level must take all components of the assessment in the same examination series. Key components:
Reading and Writing
The examinations are designed to assess candidates’ linguistic competence and their knowledge of contemporary society. In the exams, candidates will be expected to:
- understand and respond to texts written in the target language, drawn from a variety of sources such as magazines, newspapers, reports, books and other forms of extended writing
- manipulate the target language accurately in spoken and written forms, choosing appropriate examples of lexis and structures
- select information and present it in the target language
- organise arguments and ideas logically.
Guided Learning Hours
Guided learning hours give an indication of the amount of contact time teachers need to have with learners to deliver a particular course. Our syllabuses are designed around 180 guided learning hours for Cambridge International AS Level, and around 360 guided learning hours for Cambridge International A Level.